WORLD CUP: Kovac angry with referee

Croatia coach Niko Kovac launched a
scathing attack on the controversial refereeing
decision which set Brazil on their way to a
3-1 victory over his side in the World Cup
opener.
Neymar put Brazil ahead in contentious
circumstances in the 71st minute after
Japanese referee Yuichi Nishimura ruled that
Fred’s tumble to the floor following the
slightest contact from Croatia defender Dejan
Lovren warranted a penalty.
Croatia had threatened to spoil the party as
Marcelo’s own goal gave them an early lead,
but Neymar levelled from range before the
break and Oscar then added a late third.
But it was the decision of Nishimura which
dominated the post-match discussions, with
Kovac adamant that his side had been harshly
treated.
Kovac said afterwards: "I don't think anybody,
anywhere in the stadium, saw this as a
penalty.
“If you continue like this you will have 100
penalties. I think 2.5billion people watching
on TV saw this was not a penalty.
"This was ridiculous and if we continue in this
way we will have a circus.
"Fred is an 85kg man and I don't believe he
can be brought to the ground in such a
manner.
"I cannot blame Fred at all - everyone tries it
on. Like it or not, this is part and parcel of
football.
“What I want is for referees to stick to the
laws of the game and apply them equally to
both teams."
Kovac’s side more than matched their
opponents, particularly in the first half, and
had chances to level the match at 2-2 before
Oscar’s third on the break.
The Croatia boss added: "I would like to
congratulate Brazil as they are a great
opponent, but I am proud of my team.
“I am a sporting person and Brazil were
excellent, but I believe Croatia deserved at
least a point out of this game."

Comments

Popular Posts