LA LIGA: David Villa bids Athletico farewell

Jun 1, 2014 12:48:00 PM
The Spain international has bid
farewell to the Atletico faithful as he
prepares for a transfer to the United
States to join New York City FC
David Villa has announced he is set to leave
Atletico Madrid this summer, as he closes in
on a move to Major League Soccer.
The Spain international is reportedly on the
brink of signing for new MLS franchise New
York City FC, who will join the league next
season.
Villa scored 13 goals in 36 La Liga
appearances for Atleti last season, as Diego
Simeone's men celebrated a first league
triumph since 1996, while they were losing
finalists in the Champions League to city
rivals Real Madrid.
The former Barcelona forward took the time
to thank the club for a "great experience",
and is relishing a new challenge outside of
Spain.
"[I am] excited with this important project, for
me, and for my family, personally and
professionally," he told Atletico's official
website.
"And I am very excited to start a new
challenge, which is what I have tried along
my whole career, and I think this is a really
important one for my life in general.
"It has been a great experience, not only for
sporting matters, that you have all seen, but
further than that. Personally I found a great
family, inside the locker room, the
communion with the supporters and the club.
"That has helped me a lot, and honestly, they
have make me feel really happy. I will
remember this year all my life."
Villa revealed that owner Enrique Cerezo and
chief executive Miguel Angel Gil Marin
wanted him to remain at Vicente Calderon,
but the 32-year-old could not resist the
chance of a new experience.
"[I want to] thank all the Atletico aficionados,
everyone from the club who wanted me to
stay here," he added. "Especially
'Cholo' [Simeone] and his staff, who
transmitted that they wish me to stay in the
team.
"And obviously I thank Enrique and Miguel
Angel, who as well offered me to stay. But as
I said before, this is something you can't
refuse, a great project that I must accept."

Comments

Popular Posts