EPL: I believe in miracles - Poyet

Gus Poyet admits that he now believes in
miracles after seeing Sunderland secure their
Premier League safety by beating West Brom
2-0.
Having been bottom of the Premier League
table as recently as a fortnight ago,
Sunderland have since embarked on their best
run of results since 2000, with four
consecutive victories.
Poyet was quick to point out another record
that the Black Cats have equalled - that of
West Brom's in 2005, who also escaped
relegation having been bottom on Christmas
Day.
Speaking to Sky Sports, Poyet was in a
delighted mood, saying: "I don't know if you're
ever going to see something similar.
"We're the second team in the history of the
Premier League to be bottom on Christmas
Day and still stay up.
"Being seven points adrift with six games to
go, with Manchester City, Chelsea and
Manchester United to face away from home, to
be here - with still one game to play - I cannot
believe it yet.
"Absolute credit to the players, they've been
outstanding.
"They grow stronger and stronger. We got a
break at Stamford Bridge, and from then it was
only one way."
Poyet has almost certainly written his name
into Sunderland folklore by keeping them in the
league amidst almost certain doom, and the
Uruguayan was quick to thank and
congratulate the fans.
"I'm not the type of manager to go over to the
fans. I want them to like me for what we do on
the pitch, for winning football games," he
added.
"You cannot contain the moment because it's
very special.
"I'm a human being and I become too
supportive of the players. Everything that's
happened here has effected me, and I know
how much it means for this city.
"It's been difficult, but it's been incredible. For
moments it looked like destiny that we'd go
down."
The 46-year-old had previously spoken of
needing a "miracle" to keep the Stadium of
Light outfit up, and believes that his side's
exploits will go down in Premier League
history.
Poyet added: "I've said it a few times; we
needed a miracle. No doubt about it, I believe
in them now! It's probably one of the best
days of my life today.
"We finish in mid-table and I'll be celebrating
big. No doubt. It's been an incredible few
weeks and an incredible achievement.
"In the future, I don't know how many years,
but teams will be in the same situation and
people will say: 'Well, Sunderland did it."

Comments

Popular Posts