LEEDS UNITED:Brian McDermott is out

Leeds have announced that they have parted
company with manager Brian McDermott by
mutual consent.
The former Reading boss took charge at Leeds
in April 2013, signing a three-year contract,
but his future at Elland Road has looked
increasingly uncertain since Massimo
Cellino's takeover of the West Yorkshire club
earlier this year.
Although the takeover was still being finalised
at that stage, McDermott was apparently
sacked at the end of January, and assistant
Nigel Gibbs took charge of the side for a 5-1
win over Huddersfield.
However, Leeds released a statement after the
game saying McDermott had not been fired
and he returned a few days later, saying he
had been re-instated.
But he will now depart after guiding the club
to 15th place in the recently-concluded
Championship season.
Leeds owner Massimo Cellino told the club's
official website: "Brian is a great manager and
a great guy. He has been unfortunate to work
in such difficult circumstances.
"I did not fully understand the mess he had to
work in, and the broken promises he had to
deal with, until I have got involved trying to
turn Leeds around.
"He has been a gentleman to deal with in our
discussions and has been very understanding
of my wish to implement a new structure.
"His main concern and priority at all times has
been the welfare and protection of Leeds
United.
"I wish him well for the future, where I am sure
he will continue to have more success, and
thank him for his efforts in being a stabilising
and unifying figure behind the scenes in very
difficult circumstances.
"His honest efforts to guide us to the safety of
mid-table when faced with many difficulties is
appreciated by us all. He will always be a
friend of Leeds United."
McDermott added: "It has been my great
privilege to manage this great club and I have
enjoyed the challenge immensely.
"However, it is clear that Massimo wishes to
implement a new structure and feels he will
work more successfully for Leeds with a
coach rather than a manager.
"I respect that Massimo must be fully
supported in putting together his vision for the
club, so he can bring us the success we all
want.
"It is my belief that when truly United we are
stronger. Massimo wants to bring a new
energy to the club so that we can return to
where we belong as a healthy football club.
"To my players for their efforts I say a big
thank-you. To all the staff and, especially, my
great assistant manager Nigel Gibbs and my
great friend Patrick Dolan, I am especially
grateful for their support.
"Finally, to the incredible force that is the
Leeds United supporters, I offer my heartfelt
thanks.
"Your support of me and the players was
always an inspiration and I urge everyone to
get behind the team and the new owner next
season, to get us back to where we need to be,
fighting for trophies and competing at the top-
table of English and European football.
"It won't be easy, but Marching On Together
we can get there.
"I wish Massimo and all my friends at Elland
Road every success in the future."

Comments

Popular Posts