EPL: I have to conquer doubt - Abou Diaby

Abou Diaby has admitted he did think about
quitting football during his injury lay-off this
season but he is now setting his sights on a
return to the Arsenal side on the final day.
Diaby has been plagued by injuries throughout
his career and his latest knee problem has
kept him on the sidelines since March 2013,
but he resumed training a few weeks ago and
was an unused substitute as the Gunners beat
West Bromwich Albion 1-0 on Sunday.
He admits he was desperate to get on the
pitch but is just pleased to be back available
again and hopes to feature before the end of
the campaign.
"I would have loved to play 10 minutes this
weekend," the midfielder told L'Equipe.
"I was counting substitutions: one, two, and
three. There was big desire. I am ready.
Anyway I am already happy to have reached
this point."
Reflecting on his time out, Diaby has revealed
that he was so frustrated that he wondered if
he would ever return, but a positive outlook
kept his mind focused and he feels he can
carry on for several more years.
"It has been the longest absence of my whole
career," he explained. "You ask yourself if you
are still a football player.
"You think about giving up. I told myself: I am
fed up. I quit!
"I talked to my parents, brothers, sisters and
friends. Then, one day I woke up: no, out of
the question to quit.
"I am a believer and in my belief despair
doesn't exist. Moreover, I am only 28-years-
old. I still have five, six years remaining,
maybe more."
Diaby's immediate aim is to play against
Norwich City on Sunday and he would then
love Arsenal to win the FA Cup final against
Hull City.
He admits it is unlikely he will be risked by
France for the World Cup but is not giving up
hope that Didier Deschamps could take a
chance on him.
He said: "My current objectives? Playing for
the last Premier League day. And if my dark
season could finish with a win in the Cup final,
it would be wonderful.
"World Cup? There are two matches
remaining, so you have to be realistic. But if I
could be the 23rd player on the plane to
Brazil... I am dreaming about that."

Comments

Popular Posts