EPL: Moyes was grossly maligned

Apr 23, 2014 12:47:00 PM
The Scot was dismissed on Tuesday
morning following the club's 11th
Premier League defeat of the season at
Everton but spoke of his pride at
having managed the Old Trafford outfit
David Moyes has thanked the Manchester
United fans following his sacking on Tuesday
and says he is "proud" to have managed the
club in a statement made to the League
Managers Association.
Moyes was sacked following a 2-0 loss at
Everton which confirmed the club would miss
out on Champions League football next
season and the Red Devils look set for their
lowest finish since the 1989-90 season.
Via the LMA, the Scot said: “To have been
appointed as manager of Manchester United,
one of the biggest football clubs in the world,
was and remains something of which I will
always be incredibly proud.
"Taking charge after such a long period of
continuous stability and success at the club
was inevitably going to be a significant
challenge, but it was one which I relished
and never had a second thought about taking
it on.
"The scale of the manager's job at United is
immense, but I have never stepped away
from hard work and the same applies to my
coaching staff. I thank them for their
dedication and loyalty throughout the last
season.
"We were fully focused and committed to the
process of the fundamental rebuilding that is
required for the senior squad.
"This had to be achieved whilst delivering
positive results in the Barclays Premier
League and the Champions League.
"However, during this period of transition,
performances and results have not been
what Manchester United and its fans are
used to or expect, and I both understand and
share their frustration."
Sir Alex Ferguson handpicked Moyes last
season to succeed him following 11 years at
Goodison Park but United have suffered a
difficult transition.
The club were eliminated from the FA Cup in
the third round - one of many unwanted
records accumulated by the 50-year-old in
his one season in charge.
"In my short time at the club I have learnt
what special places Old Trafford and
Carrington are. I would like to thank the
United staff for making me feel so welcome
and part of the United family from my first
day. And of course thank you to those fans
who have supported me throughout the
season. I wish you and the club all the best
for the future.
"I have always believed that a manager
never stops learning during his career and I
know I will take invaluable experience from
my time as United's manager. I remain proud
to have led the team to the quarter finals of
this year's Champions League and I remain
grateful to Sir Alex Ferguson for believing in
my ability and giving me the chance to
manage Manchester United.”

Comments

Popular Posts