EPL:Football trying to kill me - Poyet


16 April 2014 Updated 22:59 GMT
Sunderland boss Gus Poyet joked that
football was trying to kill him after his side
came close to earning a shock win at
Manchester City.
After Connor Wickham scored twice in reply
to Fernandinho's opener, the Black Cats
were denied the win as Vito Mannone spilled
Samir Nasri's shot.
Sunderland remain bottom of the Premier
League after a 2-2 draw and Poyet said: "I
haven't had the heart attack that football is
trying to give me every game!"
"We deserved better."
Poyet's team are six points from safety but
have a game in hand on their three nearest
rivals in the table - Cardiff, Fulham and
Norwich.
Sunderland face a trip to Chelsea on
Saturday before hosting Ole Gunnar
Solskjaer's Bluebirds.
But the Uruguayan manager said the
performance at Etihad Stadium had given
him hope in a week where he has dismissed
rumours that he would quit the Premier
League strugglers.
After the game, he said the speculation was
"stupidity" and admitted fellow Uruguayan
Luis Suarez would be delighted with the
result, as it helps Liverpool's title chances.
Poyet said: "We conceded a goal after two
minutes at Manchester City and every single
person in the world expected us to lose from
there.
"But we passed the ball and create chances.
We kept believing.
"We got a point and now I'm sure all the
players are believing they can get at least
that if they play the same way at Chelsea.
"We are playing for ourselves - we are not
playing for Liverpool. Maybe we helped
them, and I am sure that Luis Suarez is
going to be happy tonight because there is
one team less."
The former Chelsea midfielder added: "It's
one more blow. I tell you what, I'm testing
my heart this year. Every week. I'm realistic
and I'm not going to change now. We played
a great game and took something from it.
"I thought for a few minutes, we were going
to get all three points, but we didn't because
of an incredible moment again.
"We won't stop or give up because the
players know how important it is for the fans
and the club to keep going until the end."

Comments

Popular Posts